If you’re searching for a rare Yorkie puppy, then Albino Yorkies should take the first place on your list. They are completely white, and have a high market price. However, before rushing to buy the first one you see, it’s important to consider all the good and bads sides of living with this dog.
What Exactly is an Albino Yorkie?
Imagine a Yorkshire Terrier. Now, erase all the usual colors and imagine it in a stunning, snowy white. That’s your Albino Yorkie! It’s a genetic rarity that can’t be seen on every corner. These pups lack pigmentation, making them the albinos of the Yorkie world. They’re like the bleached jeans of the canine fashion, standing out in a crowd!
How Do We Get Albino Yorkies?
So, how do we get these porcelain beauties? It’s all in the genes, my friends. A specific genetic mutation plays the role of a stylist here, deciding that melanin, the pigment responsible for coloring, is so last season. This mutation hits the TYR gene, which is supposed to make the enzyme tyrosinase for melanin production. This enzyme is necessary for the production of melanin. In albino animals, a mutation in the TYR gene leads to either a non-functional or an inadequately functional tyrosinase enzyme, resulting in little to no melanin production. In Albino Yorkies, this enzyme is on a permanent vacation, leading to their unique look.
There are two main types of albinism:
- Oculocutaneous Albinism (OCA): Affects both skin and eyes.
- Ocular Albinism (OA): Primarily targets the eyes, while the skin may seem to follow the usual color trends.
How To Spot An Albino Yorkie On Birth?
Now, you’re probably wondering are there white Yorkes? How do you recognize these special pups right out of the gate? Here are some tell-tale signs:
- Coat Color: As white as freshly fallen snow. These Yorkies are completely white.
- Eye Color: Think pink or light blue, like a pair of trendy sunglasses.Some albino Yorkshire terriers can also have light blue eyes.
- Nose and Paw Pad Color: They sport stylish pink noses and paw pads. This feature make them prone to easily get sunburns. Therefore, be careful when you take them outside for a walk in the summer!
- Light Sensitivity: These pups might act like they forgot their sunglasses on a sunny day. Albino Yorkies have very sensitive vision and can’t spend too much time in the sun.
- Health Checks: Your vet should confirm if your pup is indeed an albino. However, all the previously mentioned signs are the first to spot.
Even though albino dogs are incredibly beautiful, breeding for albinism can be like playing dice with health issues, so it’s not really encouraged. They’re, unfortunately, more prone to health issues.
How To Take Care of Albino Yorkies?
Taking care of an Albino Yorkie isn’t like caring for your average Yorkie. They need a bit of extra TLC.
Fashion Forward Protective Clothing:
Vests and Fashionable Yorkie Shirts: For that summer chic look while blocking harmful UV rays. We recommend you take a look at the Summer Cool Dog Vest as one of the best picks for the summer season. It’s made of mesh and should be worn wet in order to provide your pooch with a cooling effect. It comes in gorgeous summer patterns and its main purpose is to protect your furry friend’s skin from harmful UV rays.
Another pick to check is the Yorkies Gram® Hawaiian Shirts. It’s very lightweight, and the cut gives your pet freedom to move and enjoy daily pawdventures. Choose your favorite tropical pattern and your furry friend will definitely be the star of the beach.
If you’re looking for a basic t-shirt for your Yorkie with a fun twist then look no more than the Pawchino Terrier Tee Collection. Made from a stretchable cotton and emblazoned with cute teddy bears, these tees will give your pet a style to remember.
- Hats and Caps: Because even dogs need a good hat day. To put joke aside, Albino Yorkies are one of those pooches that can get a severe heatstroke and sunburns.
That’s why we advise you to put a stylish and protective hat on your Yorkie’s head before you go out in the summer.
- Sunscreen for Dogs:
- Keep their nose and exposed skin sun-safe with a dog-friendly sunscreen. Reapply as if you’re at the beach!
- Shade and Hydration:
- A shady spot and water are must-haves, like a personal oasis. During the hotter parts of the day, it’s best to keep them indoors where it’s cooler.
- Adequate hydration is crucial. Always have fresh, cool water available for your pet, especially in warm weather.
- Eye Protection:
- Dog goggles are a thing, and your Albino Yorkie might just need them.
- Regular Vet Visits:
- Regular check-ups are as essential as their daily walks.
- Grooming and Skin Care:
- Gentle grooming products keep their skin happy and healthy.
- Home Sweet Home:
- A comfy indoor environment away from harsh sun rays.
- Educate the Pack:
- Make sure everyone knows about their special needs.
What Are The Common Health Issues in Albino Yorkies?
Albino Yorkies, like all models, have their own set of challenges, especially with skin and eyes.
Sunburn Risk: Like fair-skinned humans, they need to watch their sun exposure.
Skin Cancer Risk: More reasons for sun protection.
Sensitive Skin: They have the diva skin of the dog world.
They might react to anything from pollen to flea bites, like they’re saying, “I’m too posh for this.”
Their beautiful eyes need extra care due to sensitivity to light.
Some may have hearing challenges, so keep an eye out for signs.
Think of it as a spa day, but for your dog. We recommend you include putting the Natural Yorkie Paw Balm into your daily routine. Note that these pups have pink/rose paw pads so they’re more prone to injuries.
In case you take your Yorkie for a walk on a hot concrete or some icy terrain, then we recommend you putting our Yorkie Shoes.
Yorkie shoes can give a mechanical protection against certain elements such as street salt, hot sand, etc.
- Specialist Vet Care:
- Having a vet who knows about albinism can be a game-changer.
- Regular Vet Visits:
- Like a regular check-in with their personal doggy doctor. Your vet should regularly check for some unusual occurrences and give you advice of what products to use on their skin.
Owning Albino Yorkies: Wrapping Up
Albino Yorkies aren’t just another pretty face in the dog park. They’re like the rare, limited-edition version of the classic Yorkshire Terrier. These pups, with their snow-white coats and unique quirks, do more than just stand out in a crowd. They invite us on a journey to become super-informed, ultra-responsible pet owners. Having an Albino Yorkie is like having your own little slice of extraordinary – a reminder that the doggie world is a kaleidoscope of colors and characters. Sure, looking after them might mean stocking up on dog-friendly sunblock and stylish little doggie shades, but let’s face it, the heaps of love and happiness they bring into our lives are totally worth the extra shopping trips. So, hats off to the Albino Yorkies, the dazzling, one-of-a-kind pooches who steal the show and our hearts with every tail wag and adorable bark!